Eastern Maine Labor Council and Food AND Medicine are hosting their 13th annual Labor Day celebration of the working people of Eastern Maine, Monday, September 5th here at the Solidarity Center in Brewer. Join us for live music, local food and family fun. Suggested donation of $5 per person and kids under 12 are free. Proceeds benefit Solidarity Harvest and the Eastern Maine Labor Council to cover the cost of the event. We also plan to have a 50/50 to benefit Solidarity Harvest.
4:30 – 5:30 PM: Check-in to Live Music from Silversides
5:30 – 6:15 PM: Speakers
– Emcee: Emery Deabay, VP of Eastern Maine Labor Council and President of United Steelworkers Local 1188
– Carmine Leighton, local restaurant worker
– Jenna Dumoulin, FAM Board member and home health care worker, speaking on Minimum Wage Referendum
– Emily Cain / Emily Cain for Congress, US Congressional candidate
– Scott Cuddy, Trustee of Eastern Maine Labor Council, member IBEW 1253 and candidate for Maine House of Representatives
– Sue Warner, FAM Board member, Community Connector bus driver, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 714 shop steward
– Kevin Gregory, FAM Board Treasurer, speaking about Solidarity Harvest
– Stand Up for Students, speaker Aymie Walshe from Maine Education Association
– Jack McKay, FAM director and President of Eastern Maine Labor Council
– Fairpoint union workers, invited but not yet confirmed
6:15 – 7 PM: Food, Fellowship and Solidarity to Live Music from Silversides
Food includes WA Bean red hot dogs, hamburgers from Moo Shine Cattle Co. of Dyer Brook, Maine (but now living up in Aroostook County!), buns from Brick Oven Bangor Rye, and lots of great pot luck dishes from friends who are coming.
We are planning some children’s activities too, so bring the kids! Cross your fingers for good weather!
For more information, check out our Facebook Event, contact Food AND Medicine at 207.989-5860, Eastern Maine Labor Council at 207.989.4141, or email Melissa@foodandmedicine.org.